Monday 20 June 2011

June 14, 2011

Hey Everyone!
Week 2 in the MTC was pretty good. It went by a whole lot faster than the first week did. It's hard to believe that I only have a few more days before I'm out in Washington teaching the Gospel to people who really need it. We only have two more days of normal class, and then we have in-field orientation on Friday and Saturday. I'm so excited to leave the MTC.
Elder Allen and I have been doing pretty good with our "investigators". Even though they are just acting, it's good experience to learn how to teach and to work together and listen to the Spirit. Yesterday we invited José to be baptized, and he said he would. It felt really good to have success.
In our classes we've been talking about listening to the Spirit as we teach, and it really is an amazing experience. I can feel the Spirit directing my words and my thoughts. The scripture that says "open your mouth and it shall be filled" is really true. Sometimes in our role plays, I don't know what to say, but I start talking and the words just come to me. It is quite remarkable.
The food is not as good as I thought. I think we're all getting sick of it. I can't imagine eating this food for 9+ weeks.
Our zone leaders and a few other missionaries in our zone are going to the Philipines. They are speaking Cebuano. It's a pretty cool language, and they've been here for 7 weeks, so they're pretty good at it. They teach us a few words and phrases, and we have fun with them. Maybe more fun than we should. =P
Gym is great. I look forward to it. Elder Hammer and I run on the track together, usually between 1 and 3 miles a day. Elder Hansen and I then lift weights and to the "Ab-Ripper" from P90x. It's way intense. I'm making a lot of friends here, and I'll be sad to leave them. It's amazing how well you can get to know someone in only a few weeks.
Anyway, that's all for now. Thanks to all who sent me letters! They are much appreciated. The mail is a huge deal here, and those who don't get any mail are always envious of those who do.
I love you all and hope you're all doing well.
Love,
Elder Giles